Show me, tell me questions.
- Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers.
- Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
- Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.
- Tell me where the windscreen washer reservoir is and how you would check the windscreen washer level.
Reservoir is under the bonnet, check it is regularly topped up.
- Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
- Show me how you would check the parking brake for excessive wear.
Demonstrate by applying parking brake that when it is fully applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the working travel.
- Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).
Check is carried out by using control (turn on ignition if necessary).
- Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
- Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
- Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and check functioning of all indicators.
- Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
- Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working.
Explanation- operate switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk around the vehicle. Note- as this is a ‘tell me’ question there is no need to exit the vehicle and physically check the lights.
- Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car (I can assist you, if you need to switch the ignition on, please do not start the engine).
Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors etc or ask someone to help. (NOTE – do not start the engine).
- Tell me how you would make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye, or top of the ears, and is as close to the back of the head as is comfortable.
- Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers
Operate the control to wash and wipe the windscreen. (Turn ignition on if needed but do not start the engine).
- Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both the front and rear screens.
Set all the relevant controls including fan, temperature, air direction and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. (Note – do not start engine)
- Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light and explain when you should use them.
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if needed). Check warning light is on. Explain not to use them unless visibility is seriously reduced, which is less than 100 meters. Note- no need to exit vehicle.
- Show me how you switch your headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
Operate switch (with ignition and engine on if needed), and check main beam warning light.
- Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault.